Am I eligible to get a Temporary Protection Order?

You are eligible to file for a Temporary Protection Order if you, or your 18 or under child, have experienced acts of violence from:

  • Your husband or wife
  • Your ex-husband or ex-wife
  • Your parent, stepparent, or foster parent
  • Your child, stepchild, or foster child
  • Any person who lives in your household as if they were part of the family (for instance: your live-in boyfriend, the boyfriend or girlfriend of another family member, your roommate). The law protects you against these people even if they are no longer living with you.
  • The mother or father of your baby, even if they have never lived with you or been married to you (4)

Note: If you are under 18 years old, you have to find someone who is 18 or older to file for you. Also, you can file for an order against someone who is a minor.

If someone other than a family or household member is hurting you, there are different laws designed to protect you. You may be eligible for a protective order under the Stalking Law.

See: What can I do if I’m not eligible for a Temporary Protection Order?